Friday, January 3, 2014

Welcoming in the new year with mastitis...

I spent my New Year's Eve in true mommy style...heating pad, breast pump and a fever of 102*...mastitis decided to rear its ugly head right in time for the festivities.

Earlier in the morning I noticed that a large portion of my right breast was still very hard even after a long nursing session.  I had dealt with the same scenario several weeks earlier and had 3 days of pain before I was able to get things unplugged and back to normal.  Thankfully I never had a fever or other problems that time but I was worried that it was the exact same area now.  I also didn't want to mess around since it was New Year's Eve and I didn't want to end up dealing with an ER visit if things got worse.  I called my doctor's office and they thought the smartest thing to do was have antibiotics on hand.  Of course as a breastfeeding mom the idea of taking any medecine freaked me out but it was just my backup plan...right?!

After putting Juniper down for the night I geared up with my heating pad and pump just like I had last time.  Was that dizzy feeling just in my head?  Yup, that had to be it, I was just panicking myself.  I went to bed excited about all that this upcoming year would bring.

When the sounds of the midnight fireworks woke me I realized I was in trouble.  I was shaking and shivering and my body hurt so badly I couldn't move.  At about 2am I managed to crawl out of bed to take my temp.  I saw the thermometer's light turn red...uhoh.  My backup plan was now reality.

In the morning my fever was down to a manageable level but I felt like I had been hit by a truck.  Every joint ached and I was very weak.  How was I supposed to be an attentive mommy when I could barely hold the weight of my baby to nurse her?  Juniper and I just cozied up and she didn't seem to mind having all the extra snuggle time.

Thankfully none of this has put a damper on my ability to breastfeed.  I have learned I can still be a good mom even when sick.  We just read books instead of taking a walk, I lay on the floor with her for tummy time, and there is nothing wrong with indulging in a nap together.

Mastitis used to be one of my big mom fears but now I've learned that I am tougher than it is!

my pump/heating pad routine



hmm...that doesn't look normal

No comments:

Post a Comment